Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thankful for the ER

With Thanksgiving around the corner, I have been pondering everything I am grateful for. I have been pondering it especially more this weekend with Gavin needing to go the Emergency Room. I am so thankful for the doctor's and nurses at Cardon's Children's Hospital for taking care of Gavin's medical needs. I was able to walk right in and get the medical attention that Gavin needed.

Friday afternoon, We went to the doctor so Gavin could get the last part of the flu/whooping cough shot. After, I went to work while Gavin and Paul had "Guy time". I came home from work, and Gavin was still up. He was having fun with Paul, my brother-in-law, and nephew. We put him to bed and he was perfectly fine. He did not have a fever, and he did not look sick either. At 12:45am He woke up screaming. I went to get him and he was very warm. We gave him some Tylenol and a bottle and put him back to bed just fine. I thought it was just his leg hurting, and didn't think it could be anything else....at the time. He woke up and hour and half later and was literally hurling and choking....I ran and picked him up. He was still very warm, even with having Tylenol a hour-ish prior to that. While I was holding him it sounded like he was struggling to breathe. I went and woke-up Paul and told him to listen to him and hold him, while I went to call his pediatrician. While talking to his pediatrician, he was having a very difficult time breathing. He hurled and was choking, again. I told his pediatrician I was taking him to the ER, and quickly hung up with her. I went into panic mode, while Paul was trying to calm me and Gavin down. We quickly got everything ready and headed to the ER. I was praying the whole way there, that they wouldn't be busy. I was so grateful when I walked in and the waiting room was empty. We walked right in! When we left our apartment he has a temperature of 102. When they checked him at the hospital it was at 103....almost 104. They gave him Motrin to help bring his fever down. They also gave him some steroids. We had to stay there for awhile, so they could see if the steroids were helping him. After about three hours at the ER, we were on our way home. I am so glad we went in when we did. There were a lot of kids there, at were worse off then Gavin. Now it is time for him to recuperate. Now it is time for lots of Tylenol, Motrin, and lots of cold air.

We had a rough day yesterday. He was really fussy, but still trying to be happy. I thought he was good considering. It was very hard for him to take naps yesterday, because he just couldn't get comfortable. I thought it was going to be a long sleepless night for him, but he slept 8 hours. I am so grateful he was able to. He was so overly tired, and need the sleep.

Today, he seems to be doing better. He is smiling and laughing a lot more, but you can still tell that he doesn't feel 100%.

1 comment:

kellibattraw said...

Poor baby! I'm glad he's doing better!